Contribute Your Time and Talent to Audubon
At Audubon Charter School, we all have high expectations for our students and their families. Just as every family is asked to make some contribution to the annual giving campaign, everyone is asked to contribute to the school community through gifts of time and talent.
Every adult has something to offer, be it artistic or writing skills, travels or experiences that could enrich classroom studies, a love for reading and interacting with children, a gift for organizing and planning events, or simply the willingness to help the faculty and staff carry out the everyday tasks necessary to running our fine school.
The school recently adopted a program of tracking and accounting for each family’s voluntary contributions. Like any new program, this one requires explanation and a spirit of cooperation so that it can bring us to our common goal of educational excellence in a culturally rich and diverse public charter school.
- Each family is expected to provide at least 25 hours of volunteer service each school year. (The minimum requirement is the same, regardless of the number of children at the school.)
- Family members who may volunteer are parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings and cousins over the age of 18.
- Volunteer hours are tracked to ensure that all Audubon families participate. Accountability encourages everyone to reach a reasonable goal.
- Audubon staff members, PTO board and committee members, Rare Bird editors, and Room Parent Coordinators may sign off on the Volunteer cards.
Below are some general ways to volunteer at Audubon Charter School. Please contact your child’s teacher about specific ways to help.
- Read to the whole class
- Read with individual students
- Journal with students
- Classroom presentations connected to the curriculum
- Chaperone field trips
- Participate in class celebrations
- Assist in making classroom materials
- Color code Accelerated Reader books
- Tutor students for specific skills
*All volunteers must complete a background check (at the police station on Tulane & Broad St.; cost is $5) to work with students on/off campus.
- Wash rugs
- Wash blankets (Primary level)
- Sharpen pencils
- Make materials (with directions)
School Fundraising Activities
- Send emails or make calls for the Annual Fund
- Soiree: serve on the auction, sponsors, decorations, or food
- City Park Amusement Night-help with check-in and set-up
- administrative tasks
To volunteer, please call the Lower Campus at 504/324-7100 or the Upper Campus at 504/324-7110.
While the Family Volunteer Program is quite enriching to our school, we are also deeply grateful for the many community volunteers who have offered their loving service to our school. These groups in the past have offered tutoring services, provided and planted trees and greenery, re-painted buildings and classrooms, and raised funds to donate musical instruments and athletic equipment. Merci Beaucoup to all of you!